Saturday, August 09, 2008

N. Idaho archaeologists scour tunnel for artifacts
Archeologists are excavating the tunnel entrance site where U.S. Forest Service Ranger Ed Pulaski in 1910 led his 45-man crew to safety as 1 of the worst firestorms in northern Idaho history raged around them.

The excavation is part of the Pulaski Project. The restoration project also includes building an observation deck at the end of the two-mile Pulaski Tunnel Trail. The trail to the abandoned mine tunnel starts about a half-mile south of Wallace.

"as 1 of the worst firestorms"?


Put DOWN the texting and step away slowly.

UPDATE: Little more here.