History buffs in New Jersey believe they have located a Revolutionary-era fort built on the first property officially purchased by the new U.S. government.
Fort Billingsport guarded the Delaware River about 15 miles down river from Philadelphia and Camden. The land was purchased on July 5, 1776, in Paulsboro for 600 pounds in Pennsylvania money.
A survey of the area has found a piece of sunken ground that matches the size and dimensions of Fort Billingsport, the Camden Courier-Post reported. The site would have allowed the fort's artillery to take aim at British ships on the Delaware.
No a whole lot there either.